|Page (1) of 1 - 08/01/18||email article||print page|
World Maker Faire New York Announces New Features for 2018
NEW YORK, Aug. 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- World Maker Faire New York, the east coast's biggest celebration of invention, creativity and curiosity, has announced several new features and attractions for its 9th annual showcase event, taking place September 22 & 23 at the New York Hall of Science in Flushing, Queens. Fans and DIY-lovers wanting to attend the weekend event are encouraged to visit makerfaire.com where discount Early Bird tickets are available through this Sunday at midnight EST. After that point tickets will increase to standard pricing until the event.
This year, Faire attendees can look forward to a host of new attractions including:
- The Hand of Man: Creator Christian Ristow's 26 foot-long, hydraulically actuated human hand and forearm controlled by a glove device, which is capable of picking up and crushing cars, makes its NYC debut.
- Tapigami: Be floored by Tapigami, a contemporary art form created by artist Danny Scheible who uses masking tape to create entire cities.
- Cosplay Contest: World Maker Faire will host its 1st-ever cosplay contest which promises to bring out creative DIY costumes you can't believe.
- The DIY Content Creators' Stage: a new stage and lounge devoted solely to the YouTubers of the Maker Movement
- Startup Tent: featuring NYC hardware and maker startups, such as Looking Glass and Wazer. Come see the Maker projects that will soon have the business world buzzing.
- Gaming and Mixed Reality: new exhibit areas showcase experiments in the emerging landscape of AR, VR and game interfaces.
- Sculptor Adrian Landon: The hand-hewn steel kinetic sculptures of this celebrated NYC Saatchi artist will be on display to wow attendees.
- Tiny Homes Village: You thought NYC apartments were small? Wait until you see these innovative concepts in resourceful design and architecture.
- The Dark Room: An entire exhibit hall devoted to light-driven, interactive projects, and immersive art.
- Center Stage Talent: see Ayah Bdeir of LittleBits toy platform; Elan Lee of Exploding Kittens (the most funded game in Kickstarter history); YouTube phenom Backyard Scientist (Kevin Kohler), and many more!
More than 800 Makers, presenters and exhibitors from the New York area and around the globe will be showing off their projects and creations at this year's Faire. The current list of exhibiting Makers can be seen here (expect more exciting projects to be added in the days and weeks ahead).
"World Maker Faire is the east coast's biggest celebration for grassroots innovation and creativity. Walking around the Faire, attendees often report a sense of inspiration, but also empowerment," explained Sabrina Merlo, Managing Director for Maker Faire. "It's a feeling that it's possible to design solutions, to make change - to be a Maker. Often times, people leave the Faire inspired to go home and tackle that idea or project they've always wanted to try."
Maker Faire has become a global movement with more than 1 million people attending Maker Faires annually across 44 countries. World Maker Faire in New York City is one of two flagship Faires that take place annually in the U.S.
Early Bird tickets are on sale now until midnight Sunday, August 5th - single day passes ($20 - $30) or weekend passes ($30 - $50). Discounts are available for youths and students, and children 3 and under are free. Select VIP options and ticket packages are also available.
Advance pricing goes into effect on Monday, August 6, 2018, at 12:00 am EDT and will be available through Friday, September 21 EDT.
What: World Maker Faire New York 2018
Where: New York Hall of Science, 47-01 111th Street, Queens, NY 11368
When: Saturday & Sunday, September 22 & 23, 2018, 10am - 6pm each day
Buy Tickets: https://makerfaire.com/new-york/buy-tickets/
Event Website: http://makerfaire.com/new-york/
Sponsorship Opportunities: https://makerfaire.com/sponsors/
Press Room/Media Credential Requests: http://makerfaire.com/media-center/
About Maker Faire
Founded in 2006, Maker Faire inspires the future of makers with a family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity, and resourcefulness. People of all ages and backgrounds gather to show what they are making and share what they are learning. With nearly 200 Maker Faires happening around the world, the global event engages more than 1.4 million annual attendees across 44 countries. In 2014, there was even a Maker Faire on the grounds of The White House. The two flagship events, the annual Bay Area Maker Faire and the World Maker Faire in New York welcome a combined 2,000 Makers and 250,000 attendees each year.
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, Make: has been widely credited with jumpstarting the worldwide Maker Movement, which is a transforming force in innovation, culture, and education.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/world-maker-faire-new-york-announces-new-features-for-2018-300690559.html
SOURCE Maker Faire
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved